Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Moira

Who invented
this form of problem solving?
The only solution
in this brutal equation
Is an answer to overpopulation,
A body count. 
They say
Go to war
They say
Defeat thine enemy
And victory
Is killing more of them
Than they kill of you. 
In what twisted world
Is this a victory? 
One more I have killed
Becomes
One more I have outlived.
This is the way
I suffer.
This is the way
I survive. 
And as I step over
Another fallen corpse, 
Metal and leather and flesh,
A sensual river of red running out
And joining the stream,
Filling a sea of carnage
in an ocean of Death,
I come upon the ruler of this land,
Not Ares nor Athena nor Zeus, 
But a being that is not,
To be nameless is to
Be faceless, 
To be faceless is to 
Be immortal. 
And to be faceless, 
Having no identity,
You can take other forms,
Skin a man and possess him
And wear his face as a human mask
And make the owner of that face
Inhuman.
She finished off
One of my fellow fighters,
Having picked him out,
Stalking the field,
Waiting to possess
Another unsuspecting soldier
From the opposing side. 
She did not kill my comrade, 
She defaced him,
Slaughtered his humanity
to the point of being
Unrecognizable. 
Then she turned toward me,
Greedy in her ways,
Soul after soul
Never being enough.
I wanted to ask her why,
Not to beg 
But only to know the reason
Behind her madness,
Organized chaos 
(Eris would be proud).
But her look suddenly changed,
And something overcame her, 
(It had to be a she,
For who more fitting to take life
Than the one who gives it?)
And she spoke to me
As a mother would a son,
In confidence,
In comfort. 
"I've been searching for you vehemently, 
my love,
Seeking you out, yearning
Yet to meet you.
You have been avoiding me carefully,
Consider me depraved, was is anew
The horror it was when you first began. 
I rip through your brothers,
like papyri, 
limb from fluttering limb,
red again.
But I do not seek to dismantle you.
You are far too precious for that old fate.
My next vessel of Death shall be you,
If you will have me."
And with that, she
Invaded my soul,
No time to ask my
Burning Question,
No Reason. 

           This life is not mine,
Much as I try to pull in my own reins. 
The Force fights the will to survive, and Death,
Bittersweet, comes to us all in the end.
Now I will deliver the fatal blows, 
And graces will shrink as grief ever grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment